THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Judging Books by their Covers


Wow, a week since I've posted! BAD Emma! But I've been writing, and cleaning house, and sewing, fun summer stuff. 


Yesterday I was addicted to the posting going on at ESPAN, and when I was refreshing the page, this cover in the sidebar caught my eye.

I must have this book. First of a
ll, damn, it's sexy, what with him pinning her to the wall and the handcuffs on his belt, and that lacy shirt she has. But what caught my eye is how much he looks like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, he who played Denny on Grey's Anatomy. And I have a serious thing for Denny on Grey's Anatomy. So, yeah, I'll be buying this book, but I'm going to wait until my friend Stephanie Julian's menage comes out, and I'll get them both at the s
ame time. 

This won't be the first time I've bought a book basked on the cover. My very first im
pulse purchase was made before I was in RWA, before I had internet, before I had a TBR. I was browsing the bookstore and this cover caught my eye. It turned out to be my favorite romance ever. I have 2 copies of it in case one falls apart. It was the first time I've ever read a hero who was less than sure of his abilities, you know?

Have you ever bought a book based on its cover? Did it pay off for you? 

Speaking of awesome covers, check out this one:

2 comments:

Donna Marie Rogers said...

That cover for Katie's book is smokin' hot! And he DOES look like Jeffrey Dean Morgan! Love that man! Your cover is super hot as well, Emma. ;-)

I also spent last night reading all those posts on ESPAN. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of something positive for us e-pubbed authors who are members of RWA. I'm one of those who can't quit because of my local chapter (I sit on the board and I love my friends too much to walk away). But I can't even express how disappointed I was to discover I couldn't enter There's Only Been You in the RITA. This story was the reason I joined RWA, and I'd spent so much time learning my craft, entering contests (finaling so many times my chaptermates started to tease me *G*). I had received so many wonderful reviews including a 4-star from Romantic Times. I have a cover quote from Tori Carrington (such an amazing couple/writers!). Then, right before I'm about to send my entry off, I'm told they've changed the rules and I'm no longer eligible. Very upsetting to say the least.

So tell me what you think of the cover for my newest release, HOT FOR TEACHER, with eRed Sage (done by Rae Monet). I really love it!
http://www.eredsage.com/~eredsage/product.php?productid=132

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

I could agree more about covers and attracting attention. A cover is usually the first thing to pull me in - the rest falls in after.

I remember finding A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole and purchasing it off the cover alone. A full moon, a hot man, and a woman in his arms...what's not to love??

Jaime